About Clan Cherry
About me (Adrian Cherry)
I'm an inveterate fiddler and occasional modeller. The modelling and computing is a part time occupation as most of my time is devoted to my beautiful wife, Sue, and two wonderful lads.
- Graduated from Loughborough University with an Aeronautical Engineering and Design degree.
- Started work at British Aerospace, Warton, in the late 1980's in the Aerodynamics department.
- Specialised in the design and clearance of Digital Flight Control Systems.
- Initially analysis was writing and compiling FORTRAN programs on an IBM mainframe, I just missed punched cards.
- I get bored with repetitive jobs so spend time developing new processes to make life easier.
- Move to Unix workstations and MATLAB.
- Being the helpful soul that I am, end up being the department IT geek looking after various aspects of software development, mainly MATLAB and Simulink.
- Usual tale of plastic kits and meccano as a kid
- My Dad set up Cherry Scale Models (nee I.A. Cherry Engineering) so I built my first scratchbuilt model, a 7mm Deans Good, at the age of 15.
- Paid my way through Uni by working for my Dad, he built the loco's I built the tenders.
- Started building an Ivatt 2 Mickey Mouse - ran into problems getting it right so switched to Scale7.
- 1989 - scratchbuilt my first Scale7 wagon following Chris Croft's article in MRJ.
- "Brief!" interlude whilst sidetracked by work and family.
- Finally managed to return to modelling.
- Member of GOG, Scale7 group and MERG - current projects published on line here.
- Computing - started using Linux in the early 1990's, SuSe 4 IIRC.
- Programming - started with Delphi, now Python and MATLAB.
- Web support - setup Trampolining Club website using Joomla, now using ModX for this site.
- Motorsports - did a little co-driving and navigating at Uni, i.e. I could map read in a car and not get sick.
- Motorbikes - current bike is a Honda VFR 800.
- Avid reader - novels (Iain Banks, Richard Morgan, Clive Barker et al) and non-fiction, usually engineering, computing or maths related.
- Just volunteered as a leader for the local Beaver Scout Troup.